7900 GTX soon to be released

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

7900 GTX soon to be released

Post by Neo »

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=915

I hope I can get one...I mean two...of these. ^_~ Hopefully the price will drop on the new 7800 GTX.

There's also a 7900 GT in the works

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=907

And a 7600 GT for the midrange.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=908
Zero, Behemoth, FOIL, Terminal, Neo. The greatest pilots in the universe. :P
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

Reports say that the price should be $500 even though this beats the X1900XTX in the majority of benchmarks.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Which one? The 7900 GTX or the 7800 GTX?
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Immortal Lobster »

Im hopeing it drives the 7800GT price below 2500, then ill pick one of those up, al;ong with a new epox motherboard :lol:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I've had 3 epox motherboards in one of my computers, they aren't the cheapest motherboards for no reason, they are cheap because they suck.
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

the one I was looking at wasnt a cheapo, and its got some great reviews on it, right up there with DFIs, I just cant afford a DFI, nor do I particularily like them.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I just bought 2 7800 GTXs from Newegg for $499 each :(
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Coming soon means the end of March Iceman, your 7800 GTX cards will do fine for the next 18 months at least.
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Krom, you got me a little concerned, I dont want another rehap of this ASRock nightmare. whic Epox's did you have problems with, and based on your past with them, whats the chance of this one sucking?
http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/products_content.php?ps=403

its a 90USD board at most places
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

You mean March, Krom. =)

$90 is cheap-o, dude. I've never even heard of Epox, really.

Keep in mind that this guy is a TCO member. ^_~
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

oh har har, cheapo is 60-70, midrange is 90-100, upper echelon = 120+ in the AMD world at least :P

it was about 127 new, so its not cheap by design, just an older board.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

For Socket 939, you pretty much can't go past the Asus A8N-VM... not particularly expensive and it's worth the money anyway.

Don't know much about ASRock stuff but considering cheap people buy it plenty I'd agree it's probably crap.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

For AMD boards, I'd say cheapo was < 100, Midrange 100-150, upper echelon over 150.

If you buy a board with high-end features and a low-end price, you might want to reconsider.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

The GTX is $500. And it launches March 8/9.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Re:

Post by Krom »

Neo wrote:You mean March, Krom. =)
D'OH! Thx.

Lobster: I used an old 8KHA+ (VIA KT266A chipset) board on my XP 1800+ system I was using in califest 02, first one I got was DOA, second one was horribly unstable till about 6 months later when a BIOS update magically cured it for a couple years till the ATA controllers died. This latest one is a NF2 ultra 400 and it crashes at least once every couple weeks and has never powered off properly, I always have to cut power after windows shuts down since the motherboard doesn't power off the PSU/fans/etc.
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

hehe, yeah, thats kinda why I discounted EPox originally for its Socket-A days, but this one still seems promissing. it doesnt really have a lot of features on it, Not that i want them anyway. its still got more then this ASRock(anyone wanna buy it :lol: )
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Unless if you want to always be on the top of the market, I wouldn't get the G71. The G80 is being launched this April and will feature dual-core GPUs, each core with 48 pipelines. I'm sure you can wait a month.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3177 wrote:We heard that G80 will be in time for launch in June during Computex ..
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Read the whole article:
\"NVIDIA G80 will make ATI stumble on April.\"
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Aggressor Prime wrote:Unless if you want to always be on the top of the market, I wouldn't get the G71. The G80 is being launched this April and will feature dual-core GPUs, each core with 48 pipelines. I'm sure you can wait a month.
unfortunatly for me, ive alreasy started the RMA process on this ASRock, just waiting for them to give me a number, then ill order the new stuff, have it delivered, swap Mobos, box this one, mail it to asrock, then sell the replacement from the RMA to my roomate(no, i dont hate him)
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Matrix »

Immortal Lobster wrote:the one I was looking at wasnt a cheapo, and its got some great reviews on it, right up there with DFIs, I just cant afford a DFI, nor do I particularily like them.
DFI totally destroys Epox in every way, Epox has a good board here and there but they still can't hold a candle to the flexibility and OCing abilities of the DFI boards.
The only brand that comes close to the recent A64 DFI boards is ASUS.

Epox was known for some of the best intel boards a few years back tho.

For an A64 system I will personally not run anything but a DFI nf4 board.
(22:58) [X]LunchBoxInVirginia: I see myself standing on top of a pyramid standing in 'Sun God' like robes with thousands of naked women screaming my name. throwing little pickles at me
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Dude, the whole thing is 100% rumor. Releasing the G80 in April (so shortly after the G71) would not make sense.

Edit: here's the source of that date: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=21827 .. don't hold your breath :P
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Matrix wrote:
Immortal Lobster wrote:the one I was looking at wasnt a cheapo, and its got some great reviews on it, right up there with DFIs, I just cant afford a DFI, nor do I particularily like them.
DFI totally destroys Epox in every way, Epox has a good board here and there but they still can't hold a candle to the flexibility and OCing abilities of the DFI boards.

I have yet to hear of a "good" overclock on an ASUS, the epox caps out at the same 290FSB that the DFI Ultra-D does, so its OC capabilities are also impressive. it may not be as feature laden, but I cant afford features :cry:
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Neo »

WarAdvocat wrote:For AMD boards, I'd say cheapo was < 100, Midrange 100-150, upper echelon over 150.

If you buy a board with high-end features and a low-end price, you might want to reconsider.
::sings:: Tru dat, tru dat, tru!
Matrix wrote:DFI totally destroys Epox in every way, Epox has a good board here and there but they still can't hold a candle to the flexibility and OCing abilities of the DFI boards.

Also sprach Zarathustra. ^_~
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

yeah, Ill be going with the ePox Ultra+ a 115USD board, with a 15rebate. its also about a gen old, looks like it was released at 160USD. does good tho, maxes out the NForce4s OC ability.