RIAA says ripping CDs to your iPod is NOT fair use....

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

RIAA says ripping CDs to your iPod is NOT fair use....

Post by MD-2389 »

http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/25621
The RIAA is once again trying to assert that ripping a CD and space-shifting it to your iPod is not a noninfringing use (fair use) of the music you have bought, according to the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF). The EFF found a filing from Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) rule-making proceedings where the RIAA argued that moving music to an iPod was not noninfringing, a position that not only is devoid of logic, but that is also diametrically opposed to its position as argued before the U.S. Supreme Court.

The passage as found by the EFF:

\"Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted, necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorization. In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorization, not about fair use.\"

And the RIAA's position argued by its attorney in front of the Supreme Court:

\"The record companies, my clients, have said, for some time now, and it's been on their website for some time now, that it's perfectly lawful to take a CD that you've purchased, upload it onto your computer, put it onto your iPod.\"

Should the RIAA have its way on this issue, one would presumably have to buy a copy of a song for your car or home CD player, and another copy of the same song for any digital media devices you wished to play it on. This has been a dream scenario for the RIAA for some time, and one that this editor has often discussed when writing on the issue at The Mac Observer.
Way to be stupid again RIAA. Then again, I don't expect anything intelligent from an organization that would intentionally target the children of a mother that stood up to them.
d3jake
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by d3jake »

As if they don't already hae enough money...
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I rip daily. My Ipod is so full of ripped music, I'm thinking of buying another one and filling that one too. Its my music, I bought it. :)

Bettina
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

I really don't get it...my CD, my IPOD....i'm not buying the cd twice...
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

It's funny, isn't it? A little quick work with Windows Sound Recorder and LAME completely defeats any files restricted with DRM or anything else of that nature. Hell, I'm sure there's a much more convenient way to do it, but if a technical illiterati like myself could find a way, most people can. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of this, doesn't it, RIAA? :P

P.S. It's always a pet peeve of mine when the media use \"iPod\" as completely synonymous with \"digital audio player,\" or even better, when they use the phrase, \"iPods and MP3 players.\" I don't know if they haven't noticed it yet, but Apple is not the only country on this planet that makes portable digital audio players, nor are theirs any fundamentally different than any others out there. Damn market share. :P
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Of all the organizations I hate the most, I think RIAA is the worst.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by roid »

Top Gun wrote:It's funny, isn't it? A little quick work with Windows Sound Recorder and LAME completely defeats any files restricted with DRM or anything else of that nature. Hell, I'm sure there's a much more convenient way to do it, but if a technical illiterati like myself could find a way, most people can. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of this, doesn't it, RIAA? :P
and they are forever working hard to integrate respect for their copywrite into all hardware too. ****ers
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

This angers me and all it does is motivate me to pirate more.

AAAARRRR! A pirate's life for me!
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

The RIAA is just paving the way for ipod inspectors, thats all.
Immortal Lobster
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Immortal Lobster »

To my understanding, its not just iPods,but PCs as well, they were/are trying to make he simple act of ripping illegal
Canuck
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Canuck »

RIAA should read Rest In Ashes A88Hats

Trusted computing, DRM, etc. is designed to take away from you, and give to the software publishers and computer manufacturers.

They want you to own no software, rent apps per use, and have hardware turned off if you don't comply.

The EEF is a great way to fight back.
http://www2.cddc.vt.edu/www.eff.org/pub ... tions.html

Now they have a Canadian Division!
http://www.efc.ca/
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I'll draw the line at that. I purposely don't download music, because I see it as stealing, but once I have purchased a cd I have no problem with ripping it to my computer. The RIAA's dillema is that their product isn't a physical object, but information. I see their side, they are just getting a little too crazy with it. I really hope that the courts don't uphold this one.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I don't pirate music. I buy my cds or download music from musicmatch for 99 cents a tune. I consider them mine after that, and I load them on my Ipod, my laptop, and my backup cd's, and a disk I play in my car. Once in a while, I will borrow a cd from a friend and copy a song so I guess that is stealing a little.

Bettina
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

Ummm, last time I checked, its not theft.... it's copyright infringement.
I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on disk somewhere.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

It is for reasons like this that I'm a big fan of Magnatune.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I recently re-ripped my entire CD collection to high quality VBR MP3s. I dedicated the whole job to the RIAA.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Re:

Post by Mobius »

Top Gun wrote:It's funny, isn't it? A little quick work with Windows Sound Recorder and LAME completely defeats any files restricted with DRM or anything else of that nature.
Hello Mr. RIAA!

What part of "Record sound output" do you not understand?

What part of "Music has ALWAYS been free" do you not understand?

What part of "Musicians have always made money by PLAYING music" do you not understand?

What part of "Copyright law is only accepted by the general population provided that it does not affect them" do you not understand?

I had laid off the downloading since you managed to shut down WinMX - but now I'm determined to use another sharing tool, and start downloading and sharing music again - even stuff I'm not really that keen on JUST TO PISS YOU OFF. Got that? Good.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

LOL Mobius :lol:

X2

..wait.. did I just really say that?? :shock:

;)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Oh my....

Tell us how you REALLY feel Mobius! ;)
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams