\"A part of a complete breakfast.\" *bleh*

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

What commercial lines bug you the most?

\"Part of a complete breakfast\"
17%
\"Specially formulated to...\"
42%
\"They're magically delicious!\" and anything akin to it.
42%

Total votes: 12
CarzyRoBoT
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

\"A part of a complete breakfast.\" *bleh*

Post by CarzyRoBoT »

And if I think of any more irritating, overused commercial lines, I'll add them to the list.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

You forgot:

\"Imagine!\"

\"Call now!\"

and \"Hurry! Supplies limited!\"
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

\"As a [expert(-sounding) profession], I know that [product name] is [adjective][product description]\"

i.e. \"As a dermatologist, I know that Zit-B-Gone is the most effective acne product\"

How can one possibly support these claims of profession?

Also \"[product] can be found at
  • \"

A big one, although I don't know how to phrase it, are ads that offer certification in a couple dozen different basic fields. Particularily when they are going through every one of them, which they always do twice.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Where is the \"All\" option ? :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

\"now with Unobtainium which binds to the roots of youu hair, activiating the Bullshutese protein receptor cites just like in this animation of a hair follicle which cuts itself when you use another shampoo\"
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

A commircial which annoys me is the Ask Gary commircials:

NOTE: High amounts of sarcasm follows:
\"I had my brains blown out, my body destroyed, and I lost my eyes. Instead of calling for medical help, I called Ask Gary, he got me a lawyer to sue this person, even though I am pretty much dead and wont be alive anyway. I am so glad I called 1-800-Ask-Gary, because now I have millions of dollars cause I am a greedy american like most of the country who justs wants to sue people. I will soon be dead, but who cares, I called 1-800-Ask-Gary.\"

If you get in a car accident & have serious injuries, one word of advice:
CALL 911!!!
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

Oh, yeah. The accident lawyer commercials.

\"If you're sitting at home in pain because some drunk moron totaled your car at an intersection, don't sit there on your duff! Call me, and I'll help you sue the insurance company for every dollar you think you deserve!\"

I'll just die penniless, thanks.

You forgot the ever-popular \"But wait! There's more! Call right now and we'll not only send you a one-gallon tub of DermaCrud, but we'll throw in this special DermaCrud wash cloth FREE!\" Which they then follow up with another such line ending in \"If you call through this special TV offer, we'll DOUBLE your order! That's right! You get TWO gallons of DermaCrud, plus TWO DermaCrud wash cloths absolutely FREE! That's a $25 value...FREE!\"

\"TWENTY FIVE BUCKS? WHERE'S DA PHONE, MAMMA?! I GOTSA GIT ME SOME O' THAT THAR FREE FACE CRUD STUFF!!\"

:roll:
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Another part of the \"double your order FREE!\" thing is the part before that \"Call within the next 10 minutes and we will...\" Like they actually keep track of when the commercial airs... Even if you called two weeks later and said \"I just saw your commercial for the double offer and the lifetime supply of...\" and they will still give it to you. Probably even if they stopped airing the commercial on all networks a week ago. :P
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I like commercials. They are the only place on TV where thers is a shred of originality left.
Shadowfury333
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Shadowfury333 »

\"Side effects may include:nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, headache, sores, boils, dizzyness, diarrhea, constipation, loss of bladder control, seizures, or death.\"

Make sure that the cure isn't worse than the problem.

BTW I've only seen these on American medicine ads. Canadian medicine ads don't have these side effect warnings. The warnings on the bottle aren't that bad either i.e. Nighttime Tylenol may cause drowsiness. Yes, that is an exaggeration, but they really aren't that bad up here. Maybe the FDA needs to raise its standards.
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

Or they just say \"during this TV offer\" for the sake of continuity.

True, the commercials are a lot more original than the shows themselves. But there are some that, no matter HOW \"original\" they may be, use some lame, overused, deadbeat cliche in an effort to get you to buy their junk. Kids cereal commercials really irritate me with this.

I've noticed that the Trix commercials have gotten VERY mean-spirited over the past years. In their latest Trix Yogurt commercial, the kids leave the room, giving the rabbit ample opportunity to help himself to a cup. Just as he's mixing in the special sprinkles (the new gimmick for the stuff), the kids come in, give him a disapproving glare, take the yogurt away from him, and deliver the line \"Silly rabbit! Trix are for kids!\" They have all those lame kids shows telling kids to share there things, and this one commercial shows kids refusing to let a stupid rabbit have a bowl of cereal because \"Trix are for kids.\" I'm surprised no one's spoken out against commercials like this!
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

If I were the rabbit, I'd have gotten an axe and some revenge on those greedy little bastards long ago.

The main problem with most commercials that I see is that its like watching a glorified powerpoint presentation. Theyre boring, insulting, and all looking for the same thing: me to shell out more money for useless crap I dont need. If I have a need for something, I'll look for reccomendations from my friends about things that work good for the situation. I dont care if 4 out of 5 dentists think ItsOurMoneyNow toothpaste creams the competition, I'm happy with my $2 tube of non-name toothpaste, thank you.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Shadowfury333 wrote:"Side effects may include:nausea, vomiting, dry mouth, headache, sores, boils, dizzyness, diarrhea, constipation, loss of bladder control, seizures, or death."
This is due to a recent law that basically said, if you say anything at all about what your medicine / drug / product does on TV, you have to list EVERY side effect ANY person in your test suffered. If someone was taking your pills and also had a runny nose, you have to list "runny nose" as a possible side effect.

That's why some commercials just say "ask your doctor about ________" and don't tell you what it does. They don't want to have to list all the side effects.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

lol.. \"if you're perfectly health, it should be ok for you to take this medicine.\" [might cause lack of 40 bucks due to Dr. co-pay and prescription co-pay]

...what's up with that?

;)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Avder wrote:If I were the rabbit, I'd have gotten an axe and some revenge on those greedy little bastards long ago.
Asian Trix rabbit from Family Guy: "You share!" :P

I really despise amateurish commercials, like those done by local car dealerships. Raymour and Flanigan is another one; they're so utterly lame, you'd rather gouge your eyes out than watch one. :P The only commercials I can honestly say I enjoy are probably Budweiser's; they're not as much about selling beer as they are just throwing a punch line across. Geico's usually aren't that bad, either.

(As a side note, anyone ever heard of the Meow Mix Cat Clock? If you haven't, for the love of God, don't ask. :P)
RoBoT
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by RoBoT »

\"MEOWMEOWMEOWMEOWMEOWMEOWMEOWMEOW BANG!\"

And they include a Meow Mix clay pigeon...er, I mean alarm clock!

Rick Stacy's Furniture probably holds a spot in my top ten irritating lines with \"If you ain't tradin' at Stacy's, you're burnin' money!\" Actually, with all those wood products in those stores, I don't think burning money would be my main concern.