Lent

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Lent

Post by Kiran »

I'm giving up something that I have loved for a very long time... bon bons. Beginning this Wed. I will not have a single bon bon for 40 days and 40 nights. No eating, licking, no sucking. No tasting of any kind.

Anyone else sacrificing something for Lent?

By the way, special thanks to a friend of mine who just sent me a bag of bon bons as a gift... I now have two days to eat the whole bag and the half empty bag of bon bons that I already have... I must rid the temptation!!! :P

Wish me luck, guys. I never went two days without a bonbon...
Bad@sskow
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bad@sskow »

\"No eating, licking, no sucking.\" I thought you only have to give up 1 activity for lent? Oh.. ohhhh I get it... nevermind. :D Good luck, now who is this person who is tempting you to sacrifice your beliefs? Shame on them!
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re: Lent

Post by Bet51987 »

Kiran wrote:I'm giving up something that I have loved for a very long time... bon bons. Beginning this Wed. I will not have a single bon bon for 40 days and 40 nights. No eating, licking, no sucking. No tasting of any kind.

Anyone else sacrificing something for Lent?

By the way, special thanks to a friend of mine who just sent me a bag of bon bons as a gift... I now have two days to eat the whole bag and the half empty bag of bon bons that I already have... I must rid the temptation!!! :P

Wish me luck, guys. I never went two days without a bonbon...
We are searching the database to see if we can find your address. We have 150 lbs of BonBons ready to ship to you. I don't know how do it but if anyone has photos of bon bons.....post them here. :)

Bettina
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Not I Kiran. I was raised in a Lutheran church and never understood lent other than it's 40 days out from Easter. The giving up thing neer made sense to me and I could never get a straight answer from anyone as to WHY we do this. \"regular\" fasting, be it from food or something else, should be a common thing in the Christian walk.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

I always give up lentils for lent.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Bon Bon's are quite possibly sugar-covered crack. I cant have enough of em.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

As the saying goes, \"I can resist anything but temptation\"
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

I'm giving up self sacrifice for lent. :)

Honestly though, I think Lent is a cool idea. Yes, self sacrifice should be a regular part of the Christian walk, but we often forget it.
Bad@sskow
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bad@sskow »

I learned what your supposed to do as a catholic during lent a few hours ago... I will partake in this as a Lutheran (kinda) but I know this is going to be hard... *sigh I'm giving up cookies.

Here is a glorious picture of a cookie:

Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

I'm giving up the contents of my /pr0n/legally questionable/ directory.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

If I ever fasted, I would evaporate and my corporeal existence would be but a memory.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Is Lent so you can sin the rest of the year without guilt? Interesting concept. Out of 365 days, I don't think another 40 matter too much. :)
Zuruck
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Zuruck »

Pretty much what I was thinking Testi...I'll live all 365 days the way I want and not worry about that crap.

/me lights cigarette.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

For Lent, I tell people I gave up chocolate, then go to the mall and choke on it. I think Lent is like a very mild form of corporal mortification like they practice at Opus Dei. :wink: I'm not a lenter.

Bettina
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Bettina wrote:For Lent, I tell people I gave up chocolate, then go to the mall and choke on it.
Why lie about it to them?
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Kilarin wrote:Why lie about it to them?
For the same reasons I mentioned before. I have to keep up my image for my dad and the church but since I'm that way anyway, its no big deal. :wink:

Now you, on the otherhand, may be different.

Just think of how good a big box of bonbons would taste right about now, especially right after eating when the chocolate craving is at its highest. Instead of the bitter dark chocolate thats gritty, Bonbons are made with a very light milk chocolate that coats the inside of your mouth with a creaminess that gives you a smooth aftertaste that makes you dream of them.

Have you ever warmed them up for a few seconds in the microwave first? Not melted, but just soft with maybe a small dab of whipped cream to dip them in? Mmmmmm.... :)

Edit: I'm going out to the mall right now to get some.

Bettina
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Dark chocolate is better imho
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Bet51987 wrote:I have to keep up my image for my dad and the church
Why don't you try giving up lying for lent?
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I am giving up religion. Does that work?
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Lothar wrote:
x2
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

I have heard of bonbons all my life but have never really seen one that I know of.
Maybe I have eaten them and not known they were bonbons. I like chocolate.
What exactly are bonbons?
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Behemoth wrote:
Lothar wrote:
x2
I won't for reasons already addressed in other threads. There is no point discussing it in this one, but for your ref...

Augustine divides lies into eight kinds: lies in religious teaching; lies that harm others and help no one; lies that harm others and help someone; lies told for the pleasure of lying; lies told to "please others in smooth discourse"; lies that harm no one and that help someone; lies that harm no one and that save someone's life; and lies that harm no one and that save someone's "purity". Importantly, however, Augustine holds that "jocose lies" are not, in fact, lies.

Thomas Aquinas divides lies into three kinds: the useful, the humorous and the malicious. All are sinful according to Aquinas. Humorous and useful lies, however, are venial sins. Malicious lies are mortal sins.

Please don't mess up Kirans thread with different interpretations of the above because it really doesn't matter to me. Cya in the mines. :)

Bettina
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Bon bons are wafer shells filled with peanut cream and covered with two layers of chocolate. Don't ask me why I love them... someone introduced me to them and I just couldn't stop eating then since.

My reason for giving up bon bons because in a way I am suffering from having the pleasure of enjoying what I love to eat that completes my day. There's nothing like one bon bon to nibble and enjoy before bedtime. However, since I am unable to finish a bag of them, I will set them aside in my room. I am going to have to fight the temptation to eat them for the entire time until Easter Sunday... *sighs* I'd much rather know where they are than to be a coward and have someone hide them from me.

In our religion, Jesus, before he became a public figure, went to the desert for 40 days fasting and in prayer. This was also the time where he was tempted by the serpant, if I recalled correctly. During those fourty days, he became closer to God.
The chuch decided that as part of our faith in God and part of our preparations for Easter, we would either fast or give up something that is pleasureable to us, such as eating chocolates. However, sacrificing food is not always necessary. You can give up Descent just to use the time to help others, i.e. help with the chores around the house. These are the general reasons why we give up things for Lent. It's some people would say brings us closer to God.

This makes sense at all, Duper?
Bad@sskow
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bad@sskow »

Bonbons are satan's chocolate. They are evil, and must dissapear! :lol:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

bwahaha you cannot resist the bonbon!

come on Bet, join me:

shake your bonbon shake your bonbon shake your bonbon...
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Tis past midnight now. My torture has begun...

*eyes bag of bon bons sitting on the desk* *drools*
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

bon-bon = \"candy\" en français.
Dakatsu
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Dakatsu »

Look! They wan't you Kiran!

Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Umm actually those aren't the kind of bon bons I eat. Once I find a good picture, I'll post it here.

*edit* I can't find a picture on the internet so I'll just take a pic with my camera.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Looks like something the rabbit left behind!
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Go to Wal-Mart and look in the candy isle. There you will find a bag of Sweet Enticements Bon Bons. THAT is the kind of bon bon I eat.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

I don't shop at Walmart... to crowded and bad parking... show me your pic. :)
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Every single place I have gone on the web to find \"Sweet Enticements Bon Bons\", I get the error shown below.

I don't know how you did it, but you closed down every single temptation and now I'm going to have to try harder somehow. :x

Warning: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL: could not access status of transaction 0 DETAIL: could not write to file \"/local/db.pgsql/pg_clog/00B7\" at offset 163840: No space left on device in /local/webds/65.77.130.137/q20n.info/index.php on line 118
Could not connect

Bettina
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Ehh those pictures aren't the greatest but those are the ones I eat.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Kiran wrote:but those are the ones I eat.
Ate. :)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Testiculese wrote:Is Lent so you can sin the rest of the year without guilt? Interesting concept. Out of 365 days, I don't think another 40 matter too much. :)
Not at all. Lent's supposed to be a time of self-reflection and penitence, a time when we take a good, long look at ourselves and what prevents us from having a perfect relationship with God. There's absolutely no requirement that one has to give up some type of food or pleasurable activity (don't read too much into that :P) for Lent; it's just something that a lot of people choose to do. It could just as easily be something proactive; for example, instead of buying coffee and a donut every morning, take the money you would have spent and donate it to charity, instead. You could also make a commitment to try to improve your relationships for those around you. The point isn't about the physical act of giving something up; it's about the sense of putting aside something extraneous to concentrate on what really matters.

Catholics have a few other food irregularities regarding Lent; we can't eat meat or poultry on Fridays (fish is fine), as a sign of reverance with regards to Good Friday, and on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, we're required to eat only one full meal. Those requirements are rooted in more ancient traditions of fasting as a sign of penitence, as is the practice of receiving ashes on Ash Wednesday. (Fun fact: the ashes that Catholics are given on Ash Wednesday are actually the remains of the palms that were distributed last Palm Sunday, for anyone who didn't know. It provides a sort of connection from the end of one Lent to the start of the next.) The food requirements have actually been toned down; there was a time when Catholics couldn't eat meat on any Friday of the year, and the fasting requirement applied to every Friday during Lent. Once again, it's not really the physical act that's of main import, but rather what it symbolizes as a sign of penitence and self-sacrifice.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

Okay, here's the question since nobody has asked it yet.

Where in the bible does it say that people must observe Lent? Or is this something that the church made up?
Another Soul Korrupted
http://www.korrupted.net
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

something that the church made up
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Yeah it's what the church has decided, as said in one of my posts. ;)