Someone recommend a Photo Printer Plz

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Someone recommend a Photo Printer Plz

Post by Iceman »

I don't want to spend a lot of money ... just something simple. I see lot's around for $100-$150 ...

Which is better dye sublimation or inkjet?

Thx,
Ice out.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

dye sublimation, it doesn't wash away with water and it (as far as I know) is more defined. Inkjet spreads out on the paper and fades over time, but paper type can help.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

i have a canon ip4200. 1200 dpi, photo quality on proper paper. nothing spreads.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

I use a Canon S820, and its pretty damn good except it takes 6 ink tanks, black, CMY, and photo cayan and photo magenta. You can run the printer without those tanks however by simply taking them out.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I bought a Canon IP1600 ... it was like $49.99 so I added a little cash and got 2 packs of paper, an extra color ink cartridge, and an extra black ink cartridge. When I got it home, no USB cable present. Canon doesn't even ship a cable with it ... wotta joke. I am taking it back for a refund and getting something else.

Grendel I saw the 8250 at Best Buy when I bought this piece of crap ... why do you like it?
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

No printers come with the USB cable. That's the reason we had the $20 USB cables hanging above the printers... without 'em you're screwed.

The reason is that they're selling the printer at a loss. They're not gonna throw in the cable with it as well. They make all their money on the ink (as does the store... Staples' margin on HP ink was around 46%).
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Iceman wrote:Grendel I saw the 8250 at Best Buy when I bought this piece of crap ... why do you like it?
I know the print head (worked on it a couple years ago :)) -- amazing print quallity. Plus the 8250 has seperate ink cartriges (ie. each color has it's own), that's cheaper than having the 3-in-1 cartriges.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Ok I bought the cable for another $35. So ... I have a total of like $150 in the printer, cable, 2 sets of paper, and 2 sets of cartridges. I just installed it all and printed some stuff and they look great. Not such a bad deal for $150 ...
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Gren: not true (for most consumers, anyway). Unless you are printing large amounts of one particular color (think company logos) one combined cartridge is almost always a money-saver over three individual cartridges with the same amount of ink, as all three colors tend to drain at the same rate. Not only is there the cost of the additional plastic and circuitry in the two other cartridges, there's a higher overall retail markup. This is straight from the mouth of the Canon sales rep.

Keep in mind the above is for general snapshot printing. If you print mostly seascapes, for example, then it might be beneficial to get a printer with three (or more) independent colors. If you print a lot of portraits, then a six-color inkjet is a must. If you've got cash to burn, go with the Canon nine-color printers (C, M, Y, K, Pc, Pm, R, Gr, Gy).
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Matrix »

Iceman wrote:Ok I bought the cable for another $35. So ... I have a total of like $150 in the printer, cable, 2 sets of paper, and 2 sets of cartridges. I just installed it all and printed some stuff and they look great. Not such a bad deal for $150 ...
lol USB cable for $35... laf

sorry =)
(22:58) [X]LunchBoxInVirginia: I see myself standing on top of a pyramid standing in 'Sun God' like robes with thousands of naked women screaming my name. throwing little pickles at me
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, you seriously got ripped on that USB cable. Once I went to a local Radioshack to buy a 10' USB cable. When I saw they were $29.99 I left the store immediately went back to the office, logged on to Newegg and bought a virtually identical 10' USB cable for $2.39 + $4.99 shipping.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I realize that but I needed one tonight. Daughter needed it for a project she is working on and tomorrow she goes off for the weekend with her grandparents. The whole package together is a good deal still ... $150 for excellent looking photogs with lots of supplies ...
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

Well he got a 5k system for free, so after that I wouldnt really care about paying $35 for a cable either :P
(22:58) [X]LunchBoxInVirginia: I see myself standing on top of a pyramid standing in 'Sun God' like robes with thousands of naked women screaming my name. throwing little pickles at me
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

Iceman wrote:Ok I bought the cable for another $35.
Just back from the Dollarstore, got 3 USB A-B, 6 USB A-B retractable, one A-mini B retractable and two CAT 5 patch cables for good measures. $1 each :mrgreen: