Cancelled D3 frag video WIPs

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Rake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Cancelled D3 frag video WIPs

Post by Rake »

*edit - The links have been removed, as the vid has been taken offline.

Yeah, so I was making a D3 frag vid up until recently, when it was cancelled for various reasons. Some of you probably saw it on PD or SG, but some may not have, and I have bandwidth to waste so I'll post it here anyway.

It had considerable work left to be done (the average skill level was no where near where I wanted it to be, for instance), but I thought the final WIPs could be of interest anyway.

So, here they are, in the intended order they would have run in the final video:

Segment 1 - 86 MB, 4:04

Segment 2 - 70 MB, 3:30

Segment 3 - 78 MB, 3:34

Segment 4 - 54 MB, 2:22

Those are compressed with Xvid, which you can get right here.

Segment 2 had the most work done to date, and is probably the vid of most interest anyway, given its song and the style of footage used as a result. Segment 4 is all Co-op that was intended to become the credits scene (scrolling text probably). Segments 1 and 3 are rock, with 3 being intended as a killing spree vid (quality runs still hadn't come yet, though).

Credits, and Screenshots.

Yeah, so... what did you think of my Fraps/Photoshop/VirtualDub work at that point?

And for kicks, this was the sig banner pic thing for the vid:

<image removed>
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

To tell you the truth I dont know why you dont just call them finished as is. Seriously.

You dont need to tack on a fancy closing logo.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Duper »

Nosferatu wrote:To tell you the truth I dont know why you dont just call them finished as is. Seriously.

You dont need to tack on a fancy closing logo.
x2!

That's a LOT of work. And their great vids.

Break out the A-1 steak sauce! It's DONE! :mrgreen:
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Oh ya. That is unless of course Rake posted that on this particular day for a reason. :twisted:
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Good screenies. You need my weapon effects mod, tho' :)
Rake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Rake »

Actually, it was cancelled over a week ago at PD.

It's no where near where I want it, so it's not even close to done as far as I'm concerned. You may consider it done if you wish, since the files have good image quality and you can save them to your HD's and all.

On that HD note, it's worth mentioning that all vids will be taken offline in a couple weeks, including these.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Hey I just noticed that I was the victum of your MD in MD hall, in one of those vids.

WooooHoooo. Im Famous! :P
Rake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Rake »

Nosferatu wrote:Hey I just noticed that I was the victum of your MD in MD hall, in one of those vids.

WooooHoooo. Im Famous! :P
This is why I put together names lists. :)

You'll find you also got Mortared on Quadsomniac in the "Nobody" video. :P

Complete WIP3 names list.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I'm listed as a kill in the \"Nobody\" video, but I didn't see myself anywhere in there. Awesome vids, BTW
Rake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Rake »

FunkyStickman wrote:I'm listed as a kill in the "Nobody" video, but I didn't see myself anywhere in there. Awesome vids, BTW
I list everyone's name that shows up, not just the guys that die.

Your name was on the screen at the start of the scene, but it came off just 9 frames later (about 1/4 of a second), when I picked up the Fusion that was used in the scene.

For what it's worth :(
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Man, amazing. I seriously got my butt handed to me in that game. Anytime you want to use me as fusion fodder for a video, let me know ;)

I die real pretty.
Rake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Rake »

FunkyStickman wrote:Man, amazing. I seriously got my butt handed to me in that game.
Pah, I was 6 and 22 at the time. From my stats file, I finished a similarly dismal 12 and 30. You went 2 for 10 yourself. :wink:
Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Burlyman »

What's a frag vid? =P
--Neo, the fourth greatest pilot in the universe
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

It's a cool video. With frags. Download it.
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by VonVulcan »

Very nice work! I wish my ingame experiance was as clean and smooth as this video.
(20:12) STRESSTEST: Im actually innocent this time
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

What's with the cow ships? Does everyone use those now? It seems like it makes the ships so bright.

Great vids Rake! :)
Rake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Rake »

VonVulcan wrote:Very nice work! I wish my ingame experiance was as clean and smooth as this video.
So do I. The video comes out clean (if you maintain the full capture rate), but while you're actually playing it's nothing of the sort.
Xamindar wrote:What's with the cow ships? Does everyone use those now? It seems like it makes the ships so bright.
In dark places it can, yeah. Typically their light/dark mottle pattern makes harder to distinguish for me. I use them sometimes because I like the concept of different skins (since there aren't different models), and the cow/zebra ones are the only ones I've seen that I like. *shrug*

Also, I just went through the vids :), and there are only 21 shots with the cow/zebra skins in them, out of 140 total shots. That's 15%.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

All I've seen so far is the screenshots, as I'm downloading the vids right now. They look great, and it seems like you're a pretty damn good pilot too :)

One off topic question: how do you get the player's name to be on their ship when you're flying around?
For example, in the ninth shot, you see Grendel in the distance with his (her?) name in green near the ship. Can you get that in game, while playing?
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by VonVulcan »

Money! wrote:One off topic question: how do you get the player's name to be on their ship when you're flying around?
For example, in the ninth shot, you see Grendel in the distance with his (her?) name in green near the ship. Can you get that in game, while playing?
If the server allows, you turn on full hud display for player names, or something like that. :)
VonVulcan
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by VonVulcan »

Rake wrote:
VonVulcan wrote:Very nice work! I wish my ingame experiance was as clean and smooth as this video.
So do I. The video comes out clean (if you maintain the full capture rate), but while you're actually playing it's nothing of the sort.
Thats been my experiance, but for you to fly so well under those conditions, thats just... NICE!!!
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Wow, I just watched segment video number two. You're a boss bro! That was one of the coolest descent related things I've ever seen. And you fly real well too. I really hope you decide to continue work on those; they really show the good life of descent. I have that undescribeable feeling right now that you only get after watching something like that. Beautifully done, and time to get the other 3.
Sulaco
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sulaco »

excellent

gee i wish i could fly that good! :)
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Rake,

I would hate to see your efforts stop! Or worse lost to time!

How about I set you up a subdomain off koolbear.com that you can host and display your creations on?

YiD,
KB
Rake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Rake »

KoolBear wrote:I would hate to see your efforts stop! Or worse lost to time!

How about I set you up a subdomain off koolbear.com that you can host and display your creations on?
Well, I don't really see what the point would be, as interest in any of my vids always ends shortly after their release (new ones don't even increase downloads of the others in the same series :?).

Since there won't be any new ones to come (it's simply not worth it), there will be no interest spike in the future to justify the HD space they eat up on any given server. That's why I cancelled my own: the utter lack of traffic simply doesn't justify the pricetag.

I can go ahead and throw them up on your archive site (the Flail Descent and Fusillade WIPs, or all if you wanted to go outside Descent), but I'm telling you straight up: they won't get downloaded.

Regardless, thank you for the offer though. Now go watch that hilarious shot of you eating a Cyclone on Moria. You may even remember it, actually. :D
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Rake, do you still play? You fly soo sexy, and those vids were great.
Rake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Rake »

Money! wrote:Rake, do you still play? You fly soo sexy, and those vids were great.
Nah, I don't play anymore. The end of the vid was the end of my tolerance for D3's current, rather pathetic, MP scene.

And you'd better not be a guy. :D
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Nice stuff, maybe i should try that out sometime.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Hey nice dude.
-Suncho
tris
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by tris »

very nice stuff, definatly space on my hard disk for them. good to have something to show people when they ask \"wtf is descent ?\"

also not too bad quality of video considering the file size either, compared to many ut2004 frag videos (300+MB for 7-8 minutes and similar quality).
. . . and they shall know no fear . . .
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I threw up a news post about the vids coming offline on PD, so hopefully you'll get at least a little bit of a bandwidth spike before they disappear. (I'm working on them as I type this. :)) I'll have to talk to Checkor; it would be nice if we could get these clips, along with the Flail Descent vid, hosted on the DFiles server as well. They're just too good to not be available.
Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sir Sam II »

Everytime I click to download the vids my computer randomly restarts a little way into it. I'm gonna have to try another computer, very weird. :(
Rake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Rake »

It restarts during the download? That's... very weird indeed.
Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sir Sam II »

Speaking of, new demos I record show corrupted. And the only one that did work showed no other ships just weapons fire, & if it did show them them they were popup floaters. Is that a known issue am I like behind in times on this or is my install screwed up? I know probably getting of topic here but I have 1.4, & I heard that 1.5 is available, whats the difference if I can still play with 1.4?
WhollyCow
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by WhollyCow »

Hey look, I'm on TV!

Rake, these are fantastic. Thanks.

(Any chance I could get a copy of the video of that Halcyon game where we were teammates?)
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

i cant get it to play, it just stays at the wmp window, or do u have to wait till the whole thing is downloaded
Rake
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by Rake »

Sir Sam II wrote:Speaking of, new demos I record show corrupted. And the only one that did work showed no other ships just weapons fire, & if it did show them them they were popup floaters. Is that a known issue am I like behind in times on this or is my install screwed up?
Yes it is a known issue, D3's in-game recorder is incomplete and largely worthless as a result. Ships don't display, weapons don't display, sound effects don't play, powerups show up on top of each other, etc. It's a mess, even single player doesn't record correctly.
I know probably getting of topic here but I have 1.4, & I heard that 1.5 is available, whats the difference if I can still play with 1.4?
To my knowledge there is no 1.5 community, so 1.5 is largely a non-issue.
WhollyCow wrote:(Any chance I could get a copy of the video of that Halcyon game where we were teammates?)
The scenes shown are all that's left. You may thank the non-functional Recorder for this. :(
Zero! wrote:i cant get it to play, it just stays at the wmp window, or do u have to wait till the whole thing is downloaded
Try saving it to your hard drive (Right click the link, select Save As).
Do_Checkor
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Do_Checkor »

Rake!! You didn't let me know? Awwwwwwww ;-) But if you wanna stop doing this it could be BETTER for you to NOT tell me :-) as you know I wouldn't let you so easily...

These videos are AWESOME! Congrats! I'll show em off next weekend at the Descent MunichLAN in southern germany - they'll love em!

Great. But please: NEVER STOP making stuff like this!

I bet my left nut that these videos get people to PLAY again :-)
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

Very nice work. I had fun showing them to some people. Nobody wants to watch a game live but they though the films were great fun. Thanks.
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

love 'em! had to go and reset everything up so i can play again....back into the mines!
Sir Sam II
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sir Sam II »

Great videos, I could myspace these videos & get a million extra players what do you say? ;)