MSU

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

MSU

Post by woodchip »

So my old Alma Mater, Michigan Statue U. had a mass shooting. While nothing new, what is different is the shooter was arrested a few years prior on a gun charge but the the county prosecutor and the judge felt sorry for him and reduced his charge to a misdemeanor. This meant he could still go out and buy a firearm ...which he did and the rest is history:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/14/us/msu-s ... index.html
The other thing is the shooter was not a student nor did he have anything to do with MSU. Yet he went to the campus to do his shooting. Why?
I suspect it was because it's a a gun free zone. Anyways in this instance the shooting is a direct cause of a liberal prosecutor feeling sorry for a black resident and reducing a charge that may of prevented the shooting. Maybe it is time to be able to sue prosecutors when they don't follow the law.
Liberal speak: "Convenience for you means control for him, free and the price is astronomical, you're the product for sale". Neil Oliver

Leftist are Evil, and Liberals keep voting for them. Dennis Prager
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Re: MSU

Post by Tunnelcat »

He was mentally ill. I doubt that even being arrested and charged for the original felony would've changed his behavior. Prison probably would've made him worse and a bigger threat once he got out. Prison has a way of making already unstable people more wise in the ways of crime instead of rehabilitation. Of course, this country puts zero money towards anything to bolster our mental health treatment facilities, even though politicians say we need too. So these kind of crimes, including our rampant homeless situation, never get addressed because it costs money most politicians never seem to want to allocate, especially Republicans. Their solution is to arm everyone so we can just shoot those mentally ill people when they steal or attempt to kill someone.
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
vision
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by vision »

woodchip wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:30 amMaybe it is time to be able to sue prosecutors when they don't follow the law.
I think you could benefit from a better understanding of law.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

He's probably upset that those liberal bastions of learning are gun free zones, which is a policy I agree with. It's not that gun crazy conservatives in this country haven't been trying to turn those places of learning into the equivalent of the Wild West.

https://www.lpm.org/news/2023-03-15/bil ... egislature

Studies have shown that allowing everyone to carry guns does not prevent mass shootings, but instead increases the likelihood of more gun violence and suicides. I mean, give pissed off people a weapon and it's no surprise that it's the first thing they grab in some confrontation.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2016/10/24/guns-on- ... -research/
Cat (n.) A bipolar creature which would as soon gouge your eyes out as it would cuddle.
Spidey
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Spidey »

People shoot up schools because that gets them the best press.
Tunnelcat
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Tunnelcat »

Everyone wants their day of fame, even if it's infamy. That's precisely the reason all these carry laws the Republicans are currently pushing are so stupid.