M$ Sidewinder 3D Pro on USB

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Rajveer
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Rajveer »

woohoo does it say one built for me? :D

if thats not an error lol, let me know how to pay and ill give you my address :)
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Catching up from a very busy week, I'll contact you guys later..
spence
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by spence »

JemmyGrove
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by JemmyGrove »

I know I'm probably too late to get in the game, but would you put me on the waiting list for one of those adapters?
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

spence wrote:Has anyone tryed this
http://www.frontx.com/pro/c522_024.html#top
I'm not sure what you're suggesting people use this for. If you are looking for a cable adapter to go directly from the 3d pro to the computer, it doesn't exist and never will- the signal has to get converted in the process. The 3d pro uses 8+ wires to transfer information, and the usb only uses 4- so you have to have a chip in the middle that will convert the 3dpro signal into a usb signal. All that cable does is change the pulg type- it doesn't change the signal at all.
spence
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by spence »

snoopy wrote:
spence wrote:Has anyone tryed this
http://www.frontx.com/pro/c522_024.html#top
I'm not sure what you're suggesting people use this for. If you are looking for a cable adapter to go directly from the 3d pro to the computer, it doesn't exist and never will- the signal has to get converted in the process. The 3d pro uses 8+ wires to transfer information, and the usb only uses 4- so you have to have a chip in the middle that will convert the 3dpro signal into a usb signal. All that cable does is change the pulg type- it doesn't change the signal at all.
No it just lets you put your chip inside your computer and connect it to a usb header (and not have to go back outside the case with a usb cord)
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

I wonder if this thing works ... Opinions?

Post by Bold Deceiver »

Great contribution to the community Grendel.

I wonder if this thing works ... Opinions?

http://www.usb-port.com/rm203.html

BD
amogan
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by amogan »

Hmm I've heard that those don't work very well with the 3D Pro.
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bold Deceiver »

amogan wrote:Hmm I've heard that those don't work very well with the 3D Pro.
Thanks for your reply. I know a lot of pilots like the 3D Pro for the twist, but I lost that twist-capacity years ago and I'm pretty used to it. I've ordered this product and I'll give a report later if I can get it to work.

BD
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Sorry for my delay in updates here -- it's a madhouse @ work..
Grendel wrote:Unfortunately a regular gameport to USB converter isn't very usefull -- you loose the 8-way hat (becomes a 4-way hat) and the base buttons.
True for Thrustmaster mode (mode select pos. II) You loose the slider in this mode as well. CH mode (pos. I) is worse, two buttons pressed at the same time will not register.
Bold Deceiver
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Bold Deceiver »

Grendel wrote:Sorry for my delay in updates here -- it's a madhouse @ work..
Grendel wrote:Unfortunately a regular gameport to USB converter isn't very useful -- you lose the 8-way hat (becomes a 4-way hat) and the base buttons.
True for Thrustmaster mode (mode select pos. II) You loose the slider in this mode as well. CH mode (pos. I) is worse, two buttons pressed at the same time will not register.
Thanks for the response. I'm unaware whether my hat is operational for 8-way. Sounds like I'm running an inferior operation here, which is entirely possible. We'll see. Fortunately, the item is returnable.
Rajveer
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Rajveer »

Grendel wrote:Sorry for my delay in updates here -- it's a madhouse @ work..
no worries :) any news on my adapter?
Genison
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

If there are anymore

Post by Genison »

Please put me on the list for a USB adapter. I just found this forum. If there are no more to be made, no problem. Just thought I'd try.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Catching up..

Edit: ack, looks like no. 45 got caught in the lid of the case I store them in. I should have taken them home.. Investigating..

[moved]

There will be 15 units available, price per unit is $25 (US) + $1 (US) packaging + shipping (~$5 w/in the US).

Units will be made on order, I'll start assembling units and send payment details via PM/email to everyone on the list below in 1st-come-1st-served order as time permits.

So far the following people have reservations:

[43] 1x LunchBox
[44] 1x amogan
[45] 1x
[46] 1x Zombie
[47] 1x Rajveer
[48] 1x Dahlgren
[49] 3x mwr2
[52] 2x Theftbot
[54] 1x Grendel
[55] 3x Do_Checkor (for Checkor, VPN-User & Glen)
==

[nn] is the serial no., color code is:
** WIP
** unit built
** PM or email sent
** PM not picked up
** waiting for payment clearance
** payment received
** unit shipped
** reservation expired

Waiting list:

1x rrn.dk
1x Cyker
1x JemmyGrove
1x Genison
--

Please let me know if you see any error in the list.

Please read this post for a quick start manual.
palwhatsup
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

I want one too!

Post by palwhatsup »

I have been looking everywhere desperately for an gameport-adapter but none on the market seems to work! My joystick will hopefully regain its full functionality again! How can I get one? 8)
weed/hopper
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

3dpro adapter board - yaaaHOOOOO

Post by weed/hopper »

Excellent job there Grendel ..... if I may I would like 3 boards @ whatever cost you deem. The D3 community has always had alot to thank you for so Thank You once more :roll:
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Well, unfortunately there are no boards left and no plans to make more :| One option for you would be to try to build the converter on a breadboard (if you have some electronics skills.) Anyone interested in that should send me a PM w/ an email address, I'll then send the shematics, program image etc.

I'm still interested in getting my Cyberman2 and Interceptor up & running so I spent some time looking into that. Since it really can't be done w/ this setup I just ordered a AT90USBKey ($30) to play w/. Most likely I'll port the 3DP-Vert code over to it 1st and then extend it to recognize Wingman devices as well. The AT90USB has enought CPU power to hold the code for autodetecting and dealing w/ any SW or WM device (would be kinda neat.) :)

I'll keep you posted but this will take some time so don't expect results tomorrow.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I ported the firmware to use AVR-USB (most excellent project). This makes the firmware a lot easier to read and maintain (written in C w/ a little assembler code vs. 3200 lines of assembler code :)) and it's ready for PD release.

The current project archive can be found on this page. Scroll to the very bottom and look for the link labled \"Project archive 2007-01-11\". Future releases will be appended there.

Enjoy!
ImageImage
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

BUMP ... (to notify all those receiving notifications of this subject)

Still looking for a an adapter? I am fishing ...
http://descentbb.net/viewtopic.php?p=192956#192956
baloma
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by baloma »

hi,
i'm new here...
i've been read this forum from days...

may i have your gerber files?
i want to make the PCB, becouse i have 3D pro too and i cannot use it anymore becouse my board doesnt have any game port anymore..

i hope u can help me in that part..
Thanks Alot

Baloma - Indonesia
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

Grendel wrote: The current project archive can be found on this page. Scroll to the very bottom and look for the link labled "Project archive 2007-01-11". Future releases will be appended there.

Enjoy!
This archive has gerber's and all you in it.

If you prefer a fully assembled unit please respond in this thread, maybe you would just prefer a board you can reserve on there too.

This thread is offically closed. Please follow up your discussion in this thread...

Best Regards,
KoolBear
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re:

Post by Grendel »

KoolBear wrote:This thread is offically closed.
Uhm, no :P This thread is also about the 3DP-Vert development and how to reproduce it.
KoolBear wrote:Please follow up your discussion in this thread...
Good idea if you want boards or an assembled converter. ;)
ImageImage
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Point taken, I didn't consider support. Sorry Grendel.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

baloma wrote:hi,
i'm new here...
i've been read this forum from days...

may i have your gerber files?
i want to make the PCB, becouse i have 3D pro too and i cannot use it anymore becouse my board doesnt have any game port anymore..

i hope u can help me in that part..
Thanks Alot

Baloma - Indonesia
Baloma - all project files are located on the Grendels 3DP-Vert Website at http://grendel.koolbear.com/ or here's a direct link HERE you can order a single blank board in this thread ...
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

*Cough* no gerber files.. :P
ImageImage
sprhawk
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Hi, I've scratch up a board following your schematic, but

Post by sprhawk »

Hi, I've scratch up a board following your schematic, but it doesn't work.

Your device is very great!
I've been trying to make a similar one for Force Feedback Proabout half a year before, but no progress.

This afternoon , I built one board by hand(I didn't finish a PCB), and I tried it-- but no response to the Windows(XP).
Even the sys gave no \"Found new hardware\" notice.
the system hardware management had no any updated information on the USB devices either.

the LED(connected to PD1), is always on(except a Blink on start/reset).

I read your firmware source code. I find it fistly run init_hw() function, and then the init the USB stack. So I assumed that the mcu didn't find my FFP. However, along with your bootloader readme file, It seems that when I plugged the device into the System, at least the system should have a response to the USB device. So I tried the bootloadHID.exe -r main.hex, it gave a \"cannot open the specified device\".

I don't know what's wrong with it. I test the voltage (with USB plug connected to the board), only about 4.0V, not normal 5.0V, I think someplace is wrong.

I used a NE556, I can't find a LM556 here, but I find the datasheet between them is the same.They min voltage is 4.5V, so I think something around Voltage is wrong.

I didn't go throught all the code of it, so i didn't well understand how the CODE runs.

Can you give me some more about the programming?
Why you use a 556 chip? is it following the US patent #5628686? to send a trigger signal?

If I want to make a similar device that support the Logitech Wingman series, must I used also a 556 chip to send a trigger signal?(of course, the connecting-wire is different).

Thank you!
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Sorry for the delay in the reply, I was OOT over the weekend.

Did you program the fuse bits ?
ImageImage
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Re: Hi, I've scratch up a board following your schematic, bu

Post by Grendel »

sprhawk wrote:Even the sys gave no "Found new hardware" notice.
the system hardware management had no any updated information on the USB devices either.
So far, so good -- this only means that the converter did not find the stick and didn't activate the USB system.
sprhawk wrote:the LED(connected to PD1), is always on(except a Blink on start/reset).
The LED should be blinking at about 60Hz -- you should be able to see that if you (carefully) wave the circuit board a bit in front of your eyes.
sprhawk wrote:However, along with your bootloader readme file, It seems that when I plugged the device into the System, at least the system should have a response to the USB device. So I tried the bootloadHID.exe -r main.hex, it gave a "cannot open the specified device".
The bootloader will not activate until it sees a specific pattern on the button lines. With a 3DPro, you would push and hold buttons 3&4 (mode II) while plugging the converter into the USB port. Unfortunately that doesn't work with the FFP or PP, from the current Readme.txt:
To activate the bootloader:

- carefully use two wires (or paperclips) to connect pins 4 & 10 and pins 5 & 14 of the DA15 connector.
- connect the converter to the computer
Try that, the LED should flash ten times when the loader activates, and your windows should start the "found new device" thingy.

If that works, and if you can actually upload new firmware, the USB side of the circuit should be fine.

Things to check:

- did you use the latest project archive (2007/07/06) ?
- did you use 4.7nF capacitors for C8 & C9 ?
- did you add the connection betw. pins 11 & 13 of the DA15 connector ?

The last two points are very important for using a FFP.
sprhawk wrote:Why you use a 556 chip? is it following the US patent #5628686? to send a trigger signal?
Yes, the 556 emulates a PC gameport -- was the quickest way to get up & running w/ the whole thing :)
sprhawk wrote:If I want to make a similar device that support the Logitech Wingman series, must I used also a 556 chip to send a trigger signal?(of course, the connecting-wire is different).
Yes, evtl. even two to have timers on all axis. Be aware that you can't use an interupt to clock in the data from a Logitech stick since they use a different method to transport the data (clock/data mixed on a button pair, two pairs per stick). It needs to be polled or you would have to use a different MCU that has 4 free IRQ lines.
Strife
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Strife »

Gren... you still making these? Get at me if you are. I need one. Stupid windows decides when it wants to see the stick on an old sb16 :) I would love to take that card out because the rest of the computer is amazing! Hit me up here or on Kali when you get a second.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

No, sorry. The 1st 58 were the only ones I'll ever make. Your best bet is to register here for the 2nd run KB has taken on.
ImageImage
Sharpie
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Full Units

Post by Sharpie »

Are you still taking orders? If you are please put me down for two plz.

I hope I'm not late...
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Please see here. This thread is for technical discussions only.
ImageImage
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Updated the project archive to 2008-01-24 (grab it near the bottom of this page.)
ImageImage
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Updated the project archive to 2008-02-09 (grab it near the bottom of this page.)

Started thinking about how to make the whole thing a bit less complex and designed a new prototype:

Will take me a few days to build. If it works (using a single 555) it should make building-your-own simpler. Stay tuned..
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Back to the drawing board. Lots of problems w/ the ATtiny chips, a single 555 seems not to work w/ the 3DP etc. etc. Still working on it tho.
ImageImage
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Rev. 2 of above proto fixes the USB problems (tiny chips have different electrical characteristics vs the mega). Stacked a 2nd 555 on top of the 1st one -- fully featured converter. W/ one 555 the PP & FFP work fine, but not the 3DP. Waiting for some tax money to get a decent USB scope to check it out. Meanwhile I'll build another one w/ a 556, see if I can keep the wiring as simple..

ImageImage
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Here's a closeup of the \"tower\", I'm sure at least Duper will get a kick out of it :P

Finished building a 2nd proto w/ rev 3 design, now w/ a 556. Pain in the neck, took me about 2.5hrs to build (works fine w/ all sticks tho.) Going to order a scope next week to do some analysis. The ideal situation would be to get rid of the 555's all together, that would make the design & DIY building real easy.

Back:

Stay tuned.
WillyP
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by WillyP »

Grendel wrote:Here's a closeup of the "tower", I'm sure at least Duper will get a kick out of it :P

(pic of two ic's piggy backed)
Wow, some fancy soldering there!
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

what kind of hundertwasser-style electronic soldering is that gren? i want an usb-converter for my 3dp and not modern art ;)
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

lol @ the tower. nicely done. :)

how is this version less complex anyway, Grendel? judging by a quick view, it looks more complicated right now.