New guy here in search of a fix. Please help.

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

DEFYANT
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

New guy here in search of a fix. Please help.

Post by DEFYANT »

Hello all.

I have played D1 and D2 to the end way back when. I have some time and would like to get back into the games and maybe get some Descent games I have not played.

Here is my issue:
I have a newer (6 months old) computer running Vista. When I install the D2 CD and click \"install\", I immediately get an error message:

\"Unsupported 16-bit application.

The program or feature cannot start due to incompatablity with 64 bit versions of windows. Please contact the vendor to ask for a 64 bit windows compatable version is available.\"

Do any of you have a fix for this?

Thanks
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Read: viewtopic.php?t=15572 for info on how to extract the needed files from the CD, then all you need is dxx-rebirth which you can download for free here: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

....and here too http://www.descent2.de/ ;)
DEFYANT
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by DEFYANT »

Thanks for you help.

The Bad News:
Mixing, patching and patching computer program files seems to be out of my league. So although I have everything I need to make it work, I just cant get it together to make it work. Descent 2 fail. Bummer.

The Good News:
Descent 3 / Mercenary showed up today. I had wanted to play D2 first, then transition into D3. With the troubles with D2 I figured hell with it, and loaded up D3. Wow - nice game, I cant wait to really dig into it.

Thanks again