Linux and Descent 3

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Linux and Descent 3

Post by Kilarin »

ok, I know there was a d3/wine topic here at one time, but the search function won't find it for me now.

I'm using 32 bit Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic.

First question: D3 is supposed to run just fine under wine. I can get it to install great using wine. I was able ( I think ) to patch up to 1.4. The instructions from that point are pretty clear, in the setup menu, click on the \"Video\" tab and select opengl. The problem is that selecting the video tab locks up my computer every time. I tried just navigating to my windows partition and running descent 3 directly from the windows install version, it has the same problem. I CAN boot into windows and run d3 just fine.

If anyone has a clue as to whats going wrong there, I would greatly appreciate any help.

Second question: I understand that Loki produced a Linux version of D3, but they have gone under now. I can't find anyone who's selling the loki version of d3.

This Thread states that is is legal to download the loki executables as long as you don't download the game data files. Does anyone know if that is correct?

thanks!
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Linux and Descent 3

Post by Xamindar »

Why are you trying to run it under wine when there is a native version?
Kilarin wrote: This Thread states that is is legal to download the loki executables as long as you don't download the game data files. Does anyone know if that is correct?

thanks!
You already bought the game, of course you can download the linux executables. Loki isn't around any more, don't think they can lose any more money by you downloading it. I think funkystickman has made a little package that contains the linux files required. Get in touch with him.
Why doesn't it work?
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

You can run regedit in a terminal window to edit the Wine registry using an interface identical to Windows's regedit. Descent 3's settings are located under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Outrage\\Descent3. Set (or add) the entry named PreferredRenderer (a DWORD value) to 2. This should select OpenGL mode.

The lockup you mentioned sounds like a pretty serious graphics driver issue. What video card / driver are you using?

Diagnostic tools:
  • lspci command - prints some hardware info
  • dmesg command - shows a message log from Linux (the kernel) itself
  • /var/log/syslog plain text file - message log from Linux and various daemons (system services)
  • /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old plain text files - X11 window system log (current and previous)
Xamindar wrote:Why are you trying to run it under wine when there is a native version?
  1. Checksum bug
  2. Mods with DLLs only
  3. Access to all of D3's commandline options
[...] don't think they can lose any more money by you downloading it
Correction: you don't think they can lose any more potential money by him not buying it.

I don't usually start or get involved in discussions like this but this is a serious issue. Organizations like the RIAA live off of the notion that those things have the same meaning. Please stop quoting that bull****. I'm sure it was just a mistake and won't happen again. :)

(And yes, this is getting off-topic - if there are followups we should create a new thread.)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Xamindar »

The Lion wrote:
[...] don't think they can lose any more money by you downloading it
Correction: you don't think they can lose any more potential money by him not buying it.

I don't usually start or get involved in discussions like this but this is a serious issue. Organizations like the RIAA live off of the notion that those things have the same meaning. Please stop quoting that bull****. I'm sure it was just a mistake and won't happen again. :)

(And yes, this is getting off-topic - if there are followups we should create a new thread.)
I stand corrected. My point is, it's not really available any more. I bought my Loki version at a hole in the wall book store (only place I could find it, and that was just luck as I wasn't looking for it there) and I think that was back in 2001 or 2002. Whether it's legal or not to download it, no one is going to come after you, specially sence you already own the game.

On the wine issue, what graphics card are you using? It matters a lot for wine. I could never get anything 3d to work in wine with my ati card but I hear that intel and nvidia cards are supposed to work a lot better. But then there is the easier option of just dual booting linux and windows. Only reason I still keep XP installed on this machine as a second OS is for windows only games that I have.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

The Lion wrote:You can run regedit in a terminal window to edit the Wine registry using an interface identical to Windows's regedit.
Thanks! I'll give it a try!
The Lion and Xamindar wrote:What video card / driver are you using?
GeForce 6150 LE VBIOS 05.51.28.39.24 256 MB
NVIDIA Driver version 185.18.36
The Lion wrote: you don't think they can lose any more potential money by him not buying it.
Xamindar wrote:My point is, it's not really available any more.
I see both points. Orphaned works are a problem because even if you are willing to pay for the product, you CANT. However, I try to be very strict on privacy issues, so I dont think I'd be comfortable just downloading the linux code if they hadn't released it somehow.

Thanks for the help folks. I really appreciate it! Short on time tonight, I'll do more analysis and look at the logs first chance I get.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

ran descent under WINE, went to the video tab of the setup window. It locked, then I did the following:

==========================================================
Unfortunantly, I'm way to ignorant to interpret if any of this is significant.

:~$ lspci
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
00:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:04.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] (rev a2)
00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
00:0a.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a3)
00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1)
00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev a1)
00:0f.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev a1)
00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
03:05.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW322/323 (rev 70)
03:08.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros AR5001X+ Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
03:0a.0 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k Data/Fax Modem

==========================================================================
the entire dmesg log was, of course, very long, and, since I assume we are primarily interested in what was happening near to the error, I cut out all but the last 25 lines. Which, to my admittedly uninformed eye, look unrelated. Most obviously happened way before the lockup.

~$ dmesg
[ 58.482899] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Unhandled sense code
[ 58.482904] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[ 58.482909] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Sense Key : Medium Error [current]
[ 58.482914] sd 7:0:0:0: [sdc] Add. Sense: Unrecovered read error
[ 58.482919] end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 63
[ 58.482924] __ratelimit: 21 callbacks suppressed
[ 58.482928] Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 0
[ 58.482931] Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 1
[ 58.482934] Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 2
[ 58.482937] Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 3
[ 58.482942] Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 4
[ 58.482945] Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 5
[ 58.482948] Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 6
[ 58.482952] Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 7
[ 58.482955] Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 8
[ 58.482958] Buffer I/O error on device sdc1, logical block 9
[ 65.638141] padlock: VIA PadLock not detected.
[ 92.376033] Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = -186412123 ns)
[ 105.417469] hda-intel: Too big adjustment 32
[ 105.491930] hda-intel: Too big adjustment 32
[ 5072.809466] hda-intel: Too big adjustment 32
[ 5072.856549] hda-intel: Too big adjustment 32
[ 5074.181941] hda-intel: Too big adjustment 32
[ 5074.225179] hda-intel: Too big adjustment 32

===========================================================================
pulled up the syslog in logview so I could watch it live, recreated the error, and got no new lines at all. Repeated with Xorg.0.log. Nothing.
The Lion wrote:You can run regedit in a terminal window to edit the Wine registry using an interface identical to Windows's regedit.
This is a very useful tool to know about, thanks!
The Lion wrote:Descent 3's settings are located under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Outrage\\Descent3.
I also have an entry for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\Software\\Outrage Enterntainment, Inc.\\Descent 3
There doesn't appear to be anything in it though. Is that normal?

BUT, I set up the PreferredRenderer key like you said, and TADA! I'm past that stupid video tab! THANKS!!!!!

I'm now dying after I try to start the game. I get all the way to the descent "loading" screen, then suddenly the screen reduces from full screen to very small and locks up.
Xorg.0.log messages:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "640x480"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "nvidia-auto-select"

Ick, gotta get it going to higher resolution, that might be whats causing the problem.

I'll play more with it later. thank you VERY much!
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

ok, couldn't stop playing with it, and I'm just getting GOOFY stuff.

\"Descent 3.exe\" runs fine. Then it kicks of MAIN.EXE. And that goes to full screen and gives the pretty solar \"loading\" screen. As soon as the loading bar hits the end, suddenly the screen resolution goes wonky.

At first it went to a very small copy of the solar loading window in the upper left corner of the screen and locked up.
Then I tried setting the resolution on the command line.
First I edited the launcher to look like this:
env WINEPREFIX=\"/home/donald/.wine\" wine \"C:\\program files\\Descent3\\Descent 3.exe -nointro -width 1280 -height 1024v -aspect 1.25\"

That didn't seem to do anything. So I went to the command line, browsed directly into the descent folder, and tried running MAIN.EXE from there:

wine \"c:\\Games\\Descent3\\MAIN.EXE\" -launched -nointro -nomovie -width 1280 -height 1024 -aspect 1.25

Instead of going into the tiny locked screen in the corner, this now goes into some kind of giant screen that won't fit onto my monitor. Manipulating the mouse will \"window\" around on the screen a bit, so that I can see just the top part of the descent display, sometimes when I alt-tab the entire descent window will appear in the background, sometimes it's just black. alt-tab will NOT reliably switch to any other application.

Descent is actually RUNNING in the background. By playing with alt-tab enough that I can figure out what input descent is waiting for (Pilot name, etc) I can press the right keys and get descent to start. But it ain't easy. Once the actual game starts running, descent goes back into normal full screen mode and everything looks fine. Exit out of the game and I am back to a black screen with the descent display larger than my monitor, below it, and by manipulating the mouse I can bring up maybe the top 20% of the window so that I can see it. Again, hitting alt-tab will sometimes show the entire screen in the background and you can hit the down arrow the correct number of times and punch enter and descent will terminate normally.

Xorg.0.log is showing:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode \"640x480\"
(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode \"nvidia-auto-select\"

So somehow its STILL trying to run in 640x480 mode for the main menus, and that is apparently freaking out my video driver.

Bizarre.

Oh, also, running Main.Exe from the command line gets the following wine error:

fixme:heap:RtlCompactHeap (0x1960000, 0x0) stub

I doubt if its important, but who knows!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The windows version of Descent 3 will ALWAYS run the menus at 640x480, there is currently no way to get around this.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Krom wrote:The windows version of Descent 3 will ALWAYS run the menus at 640x480, there is currently no way to get around this.
And that, apparently, freaks out my video driver. very strange, but thanks for clarifying.

BUT, good news, I found a way to get around it.

running from the command line with:

wine explorer /desktop=1280x1024 "c:\\Games\\Descent3\\MAIN.EXE" -launched -nointro -nomovie -width 1280 -height 1024 -aspect 1.25

The menus run in a teensy tinsy 640x480 window. But they work. Then the window expands to (almost) full size when you get into the game.

Not perfect, and I've got no sound right now, but workable. Making progress!

Too bad I still STINK as a pilot. No winecfg settings will fix that. :)
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Yes, I know. Big Thread Revival.

Kilarin,
Did you ever manage to work out the audio? I had what seemed to be the exact same problem running Descent 3 under Wine ... and I managed to get things to work (mostly) if I put a lot of the Descent 3 parameters you used in the command line field of the Descent 3 Launcher. ... And I had audio (very jittery, very broken, sounded like repeated echos in the same rooms, probably a feedback loop). Then in the Descent 3 Launcher's setup I set the Audio to DirectSound instead of Software ... and the audio was perfect until I entered a level, then there would be no sound at all.

Also, you didn't happen to find the Loki files?
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

I got it running ok under wine.

But, I just haven't had time to even mess with it recently. Big project at work has been keeping me going non stop for months now.

August I may have time to try and get descent going again.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

I ended up totally wiping my Wine installation and redoing it clean. :cry: Probably a good thing 'cause now I've got MS Word 2007 and MS Excel 2007 working perfectly (or so it seems so far).

Any how ... Redid my Descent 3 install, but this time with the Loki files and without Wine. Works good so far, and audio is great.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by FunkyStickman »

TechPro wrote:I ended up totally wiping my Wine installation and redoing it clean. :cry: Probably a good thing 'cause now I've got MS Word 2007 and MS Excel 2007 working perfectly (or so it seems so far).

Any how ... Redid my Descent 3 install, but this time with the Loki files and without Wine. Works good so far, and audio is great.
The native version works so much better than through Wine even if you have to get a few things straightened out first. Glad you got it working!

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated. :P