Descent 3 Linux Files

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Descent 3 Linux Files

Post by Suncho »

Does anyone know which files are different in Loki's Linux version of D3? If so, which ones are they?

Edit: The reason I'm asking is because we're going to post these files on Descent3.com so anyone who has the Windows version of D3 will also be able to run the Loki version.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Isn't that illegal?
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

No. When Loki shut down, they gave everything from all their games back to the developers.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I think the data files are the same, it's the executable that's different. I haven't taken the time to look, but you could probably copy a Windows installation over and use the Linux main program. Don't ask, I'm not going to try it.

I had to buy a Linux copy of D3. Nobody could give me the executable, and I had a hard time finding the retail box online. Normally, I'd say buy your own games, but when games are out of print, things get foggy. If someone I knew wanted a copy and couldn't find one, I'd burn them a copy, simply because nobody's making money off of it anymore and it's too great a game to not play.

So who wants to try converting a Windows install of D3 to a Linux one, or vice versa? Would it work with just replacing the ".exe" so to speak? Hmm....

"~#diff -ir /mnt/windows/games/Descent3 /usr/local/games/Descent3" might do the trick...
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

We want to have the neccessary files and instructions up on the official Descent 3 website. Unfortunately I don't have the Linux version so I can't test it myself.
SkyNet
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by SkyNet »

I have the Linux version, but I can't be bothered with it at the moment. School is starting back up for me, and it would be a big hassle.

Another Linux player that I know of is Xamindar. He might be able to help you out. If not, then when things relax on my end, I'll see about helping out.

Oh, and I'm not even sure why you want to do this? I thought you all played 1.5 these day's which alienates us Linux players anyway. It's like a moot point.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

SkyNet, I haven't seen anyone in a 1.5 server in weeks; in fact, I'm not even sure if anyone is hosting 1.5 servers at the moment. The vast majority of people just stuck with 1.4, unless there was some specific game they had organized using 1.5.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

You oughta swing by the mines now and again, SkyNet. I haven't seen a 1.5 server in months. ;)
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

As soon as we released 1.5 on Descent3.com it was no longer cool. ;)
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I actually tried this! Rough "readme" follows:

Okay, to do this, I used a patched (1.4) Windows install, with the Mercenary add-on.
In Linux, mount your windows drive somewhere, like "/mnt/windows" or wherever. As root, type "mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows" where /dev/hda1 is your windows partition (hda1 = first drive, first partition).
Your Windows install of D3 would then most likely be located at "/mnt/windows/Games/Descent3"
Create a directory called "/usr/local/games/Descent3" and here's what to copy over: (you could copy the whole thing by typing "cp -vR /mnt/windows/Games/Descent3 /usr/local/games/Descent3")

d3.hog
PPICS.HOG (rename to ppics.hog)
merc.hog (if you have the Mercenary add-on)
EXTRA.HOG (rename to extra.hog)
EXTRA13.HOG (rename to extra13.hog)
\custom\* (where all your cool audio taunts and graphics are)
\demo (can be empty)
\missions\* (copy everything! To play Merc single-player, read README.mercenary to see what files you need to copy)
\movies\* (include mi.mve and me.mve if you want to use the Merc add-on)

That's all you *need* from the Windows version!

=======================
Things you need to add from the Linux version: (This can be easily done by just untarring the needed files into the D3 folder, it's less than 10MB.)

descent3 (executable)
nettest (executable)
descent3.dynamic (executable)
icon.xpm (the executable doesn't have an icon, like in Windows)
d3-linux.hog (you have to have this!)

\netgames\Anarchy.d3m
\netgames\co-op.d3m
\netgames\ctf.d3m
\netgames\entropy.d3m
\netgames\hoard.d3m
\netgames\hyperanarchy.d3m
\netgames\monsterball.d3m
\netgames\robo-anarchy.d3m
\netgames\tanarchy.d3m

\online\Direct TCP~IP.d3c
\online\Parallax Online.d3c (not really needed, it doesn't work anymore anyway)

You'll want to make a link by typing "ln -s /usr/local/games/Descent3/descent3 /usr/local/bin/descent3"
This lets you start the game without having to type the whole path.

The first time you start the game, it will create a new "~/.loki/descent3" folder.
If you want to use your old taunts and graphics, copy the Windows "\Descent3\custom" folder to "~/.loki/descent3/custom"
Local user-specific files and settings will override the main ones.

=======================

If you made it this far, then you should have a working install of Linux D3. I seriously doubt it'll run on anything but x86 Linux. It's a crying shame they don't press this game's CDs anymore, so I think it's only fair to spread the *best* game ever made for the *best* OS ever made :)
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Awesome! Would it be possible for you to send me a tar of all the required Linux files?
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

That was going to be my next course of action.... after I come back from the hurricane evacuation. Cheers!
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

excellent
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Well, things are looking good for us. My computer systems made it through the storm okay, as did my house, family, and everything else (except my job). We plan on going back into the city for good in about a week, and since I can only access the internet from the library here, I'll have to send the files to Suncho once I get back. Don't worry, it'll be worth the wait!

Cheers. And thanks for your prayers.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

No rush man. Just glad to hear everything's ok.
Munk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Munk »

Is there any archive available with the linux specific files ?
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I have real hosting now (since this thread's two years old).

http://jeffhendricks.net/D3-linux-files-2010.tar.gz

It's a little less than 10MB. Instructions are in the file.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by FunkyStickman »

FunkyStickman wrote:I think the data files are the same, it's the executable that's different. I haven't taken the time to look, but you could probably copy a Windows installation over and use the Linux main program. Don't ask, I'm not going to try it.

So who wants to try converting a Windows install of D3 to a Linux one, or vice versa? Would it work with just replacing the ".exe" so to speak? Hmm....
Looks like I'm the fool... I wound up doing it anyway! LOL :D
Munk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Munk »

Thanks for the archive.

However I had to rename the file \"hyperanarchy.d3m\" into \"hyper-anarchy.d3m\"
and \"tanarchy.d3m\" into \"team anarchy.d3m\" to get them work.
sablefire
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Dead Links!

Post by sablefire »

I tried to download the archive, but the file is no longer available at the radnimax.org location or the jeffhendricks.net location. Does anyone have the file? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could either email me the file or post a copy where I could download it. Heck, I'd even send a blank CD with a pre-paid self-addressed envelope, if that's what it took.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I'm in the process of finding it and re-uploading it. My hosting got moved after a server crash a few months ago. I'll have it back up by the weekend (possibly even the ISO files as well).
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

FILES ARE BACK UP!

D3 Linux-specific files and howto (written by FunkyStickman)
D3Fix for Linux, gzipped .tar file (written by Munk, for fixing the checksum bug)
D3Fix for Linux, .rpm file(same, for Suse and Fedora/RedHat distros)

LAST TWO LINKS AREN'T LIVE... WORKING ON IT!
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Just to let everybody know, I'm updating the HowTo since it's pretty dated... Mostly, I'm including the game type fixes, and changed to use \"sudo\" instead of su into root (for Ubuntu-based distros that have disabled root accounts). The good news is that using \"sudo\" instead works on ALL distros.

I'll try to have this updated, along with everything else D3-Linux-related, and on the website by this weekend.

Oh, and if anybody's used this and had success stories, I'd love to hear it!
The Lion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by The Lion »

A note you could add:

You could symlink some files and directories instead of copying them,
such as d3.hog, demo, and missions.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

That's true, you can symlink nearly anything in Linux. It would probably work well for multiple dedicated servers, which (I think) need to be in separate folders but could share the same .hog files. I really haven't gotten into the dedicated server aspect of it, but I'm seriously considering it...

Man, I love this game.

Suncho, are you going to put this back up at D3.com?
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

By the way FunkyStickman. Do you still have that program working that makes d3 linux show all the online games at once in the online game browser? I kinda lost it. Does it still work?
Why doesn't it work?
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by FunkyStickman »

Xamindar wrote:By the way FunkyStickman. Do you still have that program working that makes d3 linux show all the online games at once in the online game browser? I kinda lost it. Does it still work?
Yes, Munk's checksum workaround adds that functionality. It's around here, and if you can't find it, I'll have the file up and hosted myself shortly.
ont
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ont »

2Stickman: great work! Sank you very mutch!
I use Debian (lenny) 32bit and Descent3 starts without any warnings or errors (multiplayer is not tested yet). :D
2Stickman: some notes:

Code: Select all

And then we make it readable by everybody:
    root@linux# chmod -R a+r /usr/local/games/Descent3/*
In some cases it doesn't solve all problems. If user can't execute directory (no 'x' permissions in ls output) then it can't see files in it... So it may be usefull:

root@linux# find /usr/local/games/Descent3 -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod a+x+r
Now can anybody help me with solving some stupid qestion ? Output of ldd is:

user@linux$ ldd descent3
	linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb7f1d000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7f05000)
	libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb7e18000)
	libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb7e0a000)
	libm.so.6 => /lib/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0xb7de5000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7c98000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f36000)
	libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0xb7c95000)
	libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xb7c90000)
No libGL or similar...
Now i can't understand how Descent3 depend on opengl... How descent3 is linked to this library ?

Sorry for my bad english, i am from Russia.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I had the same problem when trying to install it on my daughter's computer (with Ubuntu). The library is there, but D3 is looking for it to be named \"/usr/lib/libGL.so\" and the real file's name is \"/usr/lib/libGL.so.100.14.19\" or something like that. You may notice there's already a symlink called \"libGL.so.1\" which points to the correct file.

To fix this, you need to make another symlink called \"libGL.so\" that points to the correct file.

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.100* /usr/lib/libGL.so

This should fix the error. This, and USB joysticks not being found are a few of the problems I've figured out. All these will be noted (with fixes) in the latest How-To.
ont
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by ont »

Hello, again!
FunkyStickman wrote: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.100* /usr/lib/libGL.so

This should fix the error. This, and USB joysticks not being found are a few of the problems I've figured out. All these will be noted (with fixes) in the latest How-To.
I think it may be very helpfull! I don't use joystick so no problems with it. But i can't find any informaition about joysticks in HOWTO-by-Stickman file :D. Is here any other great HOWTO :?:

I have found some other sort of difficulties with running Descent3. It is a bug of SDL sound subsystem when it interact with my built-in soundcard (P5K SE motherboard). Sound was very terrible (it had crackling symptomes).
After reading this post i solve my problem:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... +bug/66483
Now my output of SDL is done through pulseaudio library.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Thanks for your patience. I have not updated the howto yet. I am working on finishing it soon, and I thank you for using it! I hope to see you \"in the mines!\"
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I'm gonna necro this.

Here's what I have to contribute: I had the problem with D3 not finding my joystick. I took at guess at a solution and it worked:

Ubuntu puts your stick in /dev/input/.... D3 looks for it in /dev.

sudo ln -s /dev/input/js0 /dev/js0
solved the problem.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by FunkyStickman »

snoopy wrote:I'm gonna necro this.

Here's what I have to contribute: I had the problem with D3 not finding my joystick. I took at guess at a solution and it worked:

Ubuntu puts your stick in /dev/input/.... D3 looks for it in /dev.

sudo ln -s /dev/input/js0 /dev/js0
solved the problem.
I'm gonna re-necro your necro!
This was one of the problems I ran into, I think I addressed it in the last update to the HOWTO file. But yes, it looks in /dev and Ubuntu puts them in /dev/input which you figured out.

I seriously have not played D3 in about 6-8 months, but I've decided to start up a LAN party with some of my buds, and D3 will be on the game list. So I'm going to go through all my Linux D3 stuff, and make sure it's up-to-date.

Good God, has it been that long?

(EDIT)
Yes, I know the HOWTO file is severely outdated, I'm in the process of rewriting it for current distros. I'll re-link it when it's ready to go.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Cool. 8)
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Updated the How-To finally! Hosted the pack on my server. It contains only the Linux-specific files of Descent 3, you still need to buy a copy! This is for the people who own the Windows version, cannot find the Linux version, and want to play it natively without wine.

Linux-Specific Descent 3 pack

I updated the how-to since I wrote the original over 5 years ago... man, a lot's changed in that time.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Gah, forgot to add the part about symlinking the GL libraries with \"sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libGL.so.1* /usr/lib/libGL.so\"

I'll add that and re-upload it tonight.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Maybe we should have a D3 Linux Sticky. It would be totally relevant (and necessary).
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I agree!
Why doesn't it work?
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Agreed. It's only been, what, 14 years? LOL.

I updated the Howto and re-uploaded it. For everybody who's used it over the last 5 years, thanks!
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Bump for the noobs!