linux: cedega OR Loki?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

grumbledook
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

linux: cedega OR Loki?

Post by grumbledook »

Hi,
hope that I post this one in the right forum:
I used to play Descent 2&3 a few years ago on a
Win98 system. I switched to Linux shortly after
(and didn't play any games since then). Now
I would really like to play D3 again. What
would you recommend: installing the Windows
version under Cedega or installing the Loki port?
thanks in advance
grumbledook
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: linux: cedega OR Loki?

Post by fyrephlie »

grumbledook wrote:Hi,
thanks in advance
grumbledook
without going into details on how... you can still get the Loki port, and it runs great! D3 under Cedega and WineX DOES NOT work right.

;)
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re: linux: cedega OR Loki?

Post by Cuda68 »

fyrephlie wrote:
grumbledook wrote:Hi,
thanks in advance
grumbledook
without going into details on how... you can still get the Loki port, and it runs great! D3 under Cedega and WineX DOES NOT work right.

;)
X2
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Wow. So disregard my email. In a previous thread someone said they got it working great on Wine.

What problems are you guys having with emulation?
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

By the way grumbledook, it looks like my email to you didn't even get through. I received a failure message claiming you had an unroutable domain.

This is what I said in the email:
I would definitely recommend going the emulator route. There are some multiplayer compatibility issues between the Loki Linux version of D3 and the original Windows version. People have had success with Wine. I don't know about Cedega. Let me know how it goes.
I guess I was wrong though. Good thing you didn't get the message and posted here instead!
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Unless your very good with Linux its diffacult to set up where it is stable. Basicly your running an OS within an OS so a high end machine would be needed to run D3 right also. I have seen the issue with the leveals though, %50 or so of the multi player levels dont work at all. I guess its a matter of preferance as to which way you go. I prefer the Loki version on Linux option.
grumbledook
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by grumbledook »

Thanks to all of you for your replies. With the latest ATI drivers Q4, Cube, and some more serious 3D apps are running fine on my linux laptop (with a Mobility FireGL T2). HL runs fine under cedega. But most of the older games I tried didn't work with the emulator. But the only game I'm really interested in is D3! It's good to know that are people here who have experiences with the emulator as well as with the Loki variant. So, I'll give the Loki version a try first and when I run into trouble I hope to find some help here :) If Loki D3 fails I'll check cedega.
Any hints were to get the Loki version? I found two offers,
one at ebay ($40 incl shipping) and one at amazon market place (> € 60). Is there any place were I can get D3 for less?
cheers,
grumbledook
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Basically, no, you can't find it for cheaper, if you can find it at all. I had to get D3-Linux on eBay, and I paid full retail for it, simply because it's out of print and has been for years and it's rare. Granted, I actually went through the process of \"diff\"-ing the Linux and Windows installs, and found out there's only a handful of files different (about 10MB worth).

Now here's the touchy part: I personally am frustrated that nobody has D3 Linux anymore, and sooner or later with the rise of Linux and people wanting to play such a great game, the supply is going to run out. I don't feel bad about letting people have those few files if they've already bought a Windows version...

But I'd recommend trying to find a retail copy first, if you can. The native port is much more stable, looks exactly the same, and performs exactly the same or better than the Windows version in Windows (I benchmarked them back-to-back on my system extensively).

By the way, welcome to the Descent/Linux community!
grumbledook
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by grumbledook »

A (still sealed) copy of the Loki version of D3 is already on its way from the US to my place :) I'll let you know how it works.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by DCrazy »

Cuda68 wrote:Unless your very good with Linux its diffacult to set up where it is stable. Basicly your running an OS within an OS so a high end machine would be needed to run D3 right also. I have seen the issue with the leveals though, %50 or so of the multi player levels dont work at all. I guess its a matter of preferance as to which way you go. I prefer the Loki version on Linux option.
The whole point of Cedega/WineX is that you are *NOT* running a machine in a machine. Cedega and WineX are an implementation of the WinAPI and DirectX API that translate the calls into Linux calls. It's an ABI layer, NOT an emulator. Hell, WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator".
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by fyrephlie »

DCrazy wrote:
Cuda68 wrote:Unless your very good with Linux its diffacult to set up where it is stable. Basicly your running an OS within an OS so a high end machine would be needed to run D3 right also. I have seen the issue with the leveals though, %50 or so of the multi player levels dont work at all. I guess its a matter of preferance as to which way you go. I prefer the Loki version on Linux option.
The whole point of Cedega/WineX is that you are *NOT* running a machine in a machine. Cedega and WineX are an implementation of the WinAPI and DirectX API that translate the calls into Linux calls. It's an ABI layer, NOT an emulator. Hell, WINE stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator".
true... but cedega is still a pain in the ass... :P
grumbledook
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

LOKI rules!

Post by grumbledook »

The Loki game (new & still sealed!) arrived today. Well, I just installed it and it runs perfect :) even when I throttle down the GPU (so my laptop won't get too hot).
CU ...
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Sweeeeet. Are you planning on adding the Mercenary add-on CD, or did you already do that? I've got some ship logos of Tux if you want... :)
grumbledook
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Re:

Post by grumbledook »

FunkyStickman wrote:Sweeeeet. Are you planning on adding the Mercenary add-on CD, or did you already do that? I've got some ship logos of Tux if you want... :)
Sure, I will, but first I have to practice :) As I said: it's been a few years without fragging bots... Would you send me the Tux logos?
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by FunkyStickman »

grumbledook wrote: Sure, I will, but first I have to practice :) As I said: it's been a few years without fragging bots... Would you send me the Tux logos?
Okay. Where? :)
Cuda68
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Cuda68 »

Can you cc me in on those logo's also - I will PM my addy to you.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I threw them on my cheap-o website. http://home.earthlink.net/~hendricks_cl ... gos.tar.gz

It's got a few weird ones in there also.. I didn't make the graphics, just gimp'ed them to the right size and format. Share and enjoy.